error on first boot

ray at redshift.com ray at redshift.com
Wed Dec 21 04:06:11 PST 2005

| hi all i'm new in freebsd, i've install freebsd 6.0,
| everything ok,
| but when i finish and start for my first boot, i've
| got error below:
|
| "ad0:Failure-read_mul
| status=59<ready,dsc,dkq,error>error=40<uncorrectable>lba=12431
| g_vfs_done():ad0s1a[(offset=6332416,lenght=32768)]
| error=5
| vnode_pager_getpage:i/o read error.
| vm_fault : page read error,pid 57 (unit)
| dec 20 16 :01:03 init fatal signal : segmentation
| fault."
|
| any idea ?
| thank's alot

looks like maybe the drive and/or controller are flaky or perhaps there is a bad
spot on the drive or something.  You might also check to make sure your IDE
cables aren't exessively long or anything, since sometimes that can produce
strange timing errors.

Anyway, just off the top of my head, that's about where I would start looking :)

Can you provide a little background on the hardware you are using for the machine?

Ray