rm: Directory not empty ..(had tried chflag ...)

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Tue Dec 6 08:39:54 PST 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 07:14:26PM +0800, K.C.Huang-MLC wrote:
> Dear All:
>   I running fsck -y to a device, and I delete some files in the same time .
>   I found there were some files could'nt be delete..
>
>   message:
>       rm: old_files: Directory not empty
>
>   I had tried
>      chflags -R noschg  old_files
>      rm -rf old_files

Did you run fsck until the filesystem is clean? If not try running fsck
from single user mode a few more times.

Another possibility is that this can sometimes happen with softupdates
with fsck running in the background. If you wait for fsck to finish
running in the background, then the problem should go away (this has
been fixed in more recent FreeBSD releases).

	David.