vinum question

Matt mhersant at comcast.net
Thu Apr 14 09:43:55 PDT 2005

Bernd Walter wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:50:20AM -0700, Matt wrote:
>

>>I have a two disk array that I want to move to another machine.  It is
>>configured with striping using vinum.  What is the best way to set it up
>>under a new machine?  Should I simply load the old vinum.conf file and
>>enable vinum?  Thanks much for any help.
>>
>>drive disk1 device /dev/ad5s1d
>>drive disk2 device /dev/ad6s1d
>>volume stripe
>> plex org striped 256k
>>   sd length 114470m drive disk1
>>   sd length 114470m drive disk2
>>

>Vinum should find and use the existing configuration.

Well,  it hasn't been that easy.  The new machine is running 5.3.  At
boot I receive:

panic: umount: dangling vnode
/
/when vinum loads at boot.  I get around this by starting vinum from
rc.local.  The vinum device node (named stripe in this case) isn't in
/dev/vinum.  Do I need to create it on the new machine.  I placed the
old config file in /etc/vinum.conf.  Is vinum supposed to create the
nodes automatically?   Thanks much.