ICH6 SATA RAID support

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Tue Apr 5 07:34:29 PDT 2005

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Vladimir Terziev <vladimir.terziev at sun-fish.com> writes:
>
>>could someone tell me what is the status of ICH6 SATA RAID support
>>in FreeBSD?
>

> The ICH6R is an Intel MatrixRAID chipset and is fully supported in
> -CURRENT.
>
> DES

ICH6R is just like ICH5R in that it's just a dumb ATA/SATA controller
with hooks that allow a motherboard BIOS to provide simple RAID
functionaly at boot.  It's not tied to any particular RAID
implementation, and there are likely dozens of companies out there that
will put their own, incompatible RAID functionality into the BIOS just
like they did with the ICH5R.  MatrixRAID is just one of these
implementations.

Scott