which Wifi cards can be used for a WAP?

Brian Reichert reichert at numachi.com
Fri Apr 1 22:50:54 PST 2005

I'm looking at the impressive list of wireless network cards supported
by FreeBSD here:

  http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/hardware-i386.html#WLAN

But, I have the specific interest of building an 802.11g WAP.  I
seem to recall lore that not all Wifi cards could be used this way
(something about needing to be able to run in ad-hoc mode, or some
such.)

Is my memory faulty, or can any old 802.11g Wifi card be pressed
into service?  I'm specifically looking into various PCI-based
cards, if that affects anyone's advice...

(If someone can recomment a better forum for the question; I'll
accept advice on that matter, too. :)

Of course, any specific advice about good antenna, good driver/throughput,
etc, would also be accepted gleefully...

--
Brian Reichert				<reichert at numachi.com>
55 Crystal Ave. #286			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842