Serial Console / GDB Port

Ryan Sommers ryans at gamersimpact.com
Wed Sep 29 12:50:43 PDT 2004

Is it possible to use the same serial line as the console and GDB port? I
currently have console=comconsole in my loader.conf and am able to break
to the debugger in tip. (I'm Ssh'ing into a box connected via serial line
to the dev box.) I tried setting up gdb on that serial link. Broke into
the debugger in one screen, opened gdb -k kernel.debug in another screen,
when I typed in the target remote /dev/cuaa0 line in gdb though the
garbage printed onto the serial line (beginning of the gdb protocol
session I'm assuming) ended up crashing ddb and panicing the kernel and
I'm unable to access the box over the serial line (and currently don't
have physical access to the box).

Now, I don't think I added the 0x80 flag onto the serial port. Will adding
that flag fix this? Or is there something more I need to do to be able to
enable gdb and a console on the same serial line?

--
Ryan Sommers
ryans at gamersimpact.com