hacking SCO....

John Von Essen john at essenz.com
Mon Sep 27 15:42:19 PDT 2004

Well,

I was able to get a boot/install floppy made. Then install a fresh SCO.
Then create recovery floppies, then boot with recovery floppy and try
to cpio tape data to /mnt.

However, in both the recover floppy and the real SCO system I have to
configure the tape drive apparently. As of right now, I can not access
the tape device.

SCO's tape device builder asks what type of tape, is a DDS-2 considered
DAT or 8mm?

Anyway, I wish I would of thought of the dd args to skip the bad
sectors and continue on. Now that SCO is installed (which took an hour
and a half) I would hate to start over. The drive is really messed up,
dd would copy a couple thousand records, then the drive would start
making a horrendous noise and through an IO error stopping dd.

You have no idea how much I hate SCO. I feel like I am cheating on my
girlfriend every time I login to this damn box.

-john