FreeBSD Kernel buffer overflow

Avleen Vig lists-freebsd at silverwraith.com
Fri Sep 17 19:52:19 PDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 12:59:36AM +0100, viro at parcelfarce.linux.theplanet.co.uk wrote:
> > Inside the kernel? i can define a syscall accepting 30 args and it could
> > send in panic freebsd kernel. I think it's a problem and a patch 'must'
> > occur.
>
> You could also define a syscall with no arguments and have it call
> panic(9).  So what?

The difference is, that calling panic(9) is not a bug, it's a designed
mechanism to panic a kernel.
The behaviour reported is NOT designed behaviour (at least, no-one has
said it is).

Therefore, if the man wants to write a patch to fix unintended
behaviour, what's wrong with that?

--
Avleen Vig
Systems Administrator