FreeBSD Kernel buffer overflow

gerarra at tin.it gerarra at tin.it
Thu Sep 16 17:50:36 PDT 2004

>A couple of points:
>
>1) No-one from the FreeBSD core team has participated in this
>discussion so far.
>
>2) Because you initially claimed that this was a security problem, you
>prejudiced people against you because it's quite obviously not
>security-related, as has been discussed.  If you'd initially just
>asked for the sanity check for developers who might accidentally shoot
>their feet off (this is what Julian suggested in response to you),
>there would have been little controversy.
>
>Kris

Hi Kris,
you're quite right but: former what I mean to say is that the problem *exists*.
Nobody can write a syscall with more than 8 arguments and this is conceptually
wrong. In my opinion this is a mistake, no assumptions might be done on
number of arguments (I've not seen a documentation about that somewhere
too...). Latter, it could be a security problem. I've seen a lot of bug
declared *not exploitable* exploitted by other coders after some times.
Nothing is impossible. I wanted to point out that. I think this is different
respect VFS pointers, don't you agree?

rookie