ZFS

Paul Schenkeveld fb-hackers at psconsult.nl
Wed Sep 15 13:34:08 PDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 06:03:22PM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 05:43:38PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > This one's good though. fortune(6) worthy, I mean:
> > >
> > > Populating 128-bit file systems would exceed the quantum limits of
> > > earth-based storage. You couldn't fill a 128-bit storage pool without
> > > boiling the oceans.
> >
> > Hmmmm... that explains the global warming then...
>
> I once calculated that there were sufficient IPv6 addresses (another
> 128 bit quantity) to provide a distinct address for every cluster of
> about 10^12 atoms within planet Earth.  10^12 atoms sounds like quite
> a lot, but it is much smaller than a typical bacterium and a hell of a
> lot smaller than any transistor ever manufactured: even if you
> converted the entire planet into a data storage system, you wouldn't
> have enough matter to build a filesystem that big, let alone power
> supplies, cabling, support structures etc.

Be ware...

  Jules Verne was called crazy when he saw men would walk on the moon
  sometime.

  Leonardo da Vinci was laughed at when he envisioned people flying like
  birds.

We people had things wrong in the past when we held things for impossible.

We may not be around to witness storing over 2^128 bytes of information
but your words sound like NEVER and I think that's a scary word.

> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

Cheers!

Paul Schenkeveld