Support for SMT in latest FreeBSD

Daniel Eischen deischen at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 7 04:31:57 PDT 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Dennis George wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Acutally I was wondering if there is no support for SMT / SMP then can
> > freeBSD support dual processors..... Or can I utlize dual-processor in its
> > fullness ?????????

Actually, I think he's more insterested in threading across multiple
processors, so:

> yes.
> in 5.3 or 6.0 very yes

With libpthread or libthr in 5.3 and -current, yes.  With
libc_r, no.

> in 5.2 yes

With libkse (renamed to libpthread in 5.3 and -current) and
libthr, yes, but both are experimental in this release.  You
really want 5.3 or -current if you want to use libpthread or
libthr.  With libc_r, no.

> in 4.x mostly yes

Only with the linuxthreads port.  With libc_r, no.  Neither
libpthread nor libthr are available for 4.x (and won't be).

There is no pbind() or processor_bind() (ala Solaris) in
FreeBSD (yet).  Julian has to add them ;-)

--
Dan Eischen