Request for Review: UFS2 Snapshot Management Environment

Chris Dillon cdillon at wolves.k12.mo.us
Mon Sep 6 19:06:58 PDT 2004

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>> | $ cat /snap/home:hourly.1/rse/foo.txt /snap/home:hourly.0/rse/foo.txt
>> foo.txt
>
> Now you just need to hack sys/kern/vfs_lookup.c to do the right
> thing when you ask for /path/.snapshot.

I recently set up a FreeBSD 5.3 box running Samba to hold all of our
Windows users home directories.  I've already had to restore a few
files from the daily backups because somebody hosed their files in one
way or another.  Having hourly snapshots like this will be great.
Currently I will have to set up special Samba access to the snapshot
area which will make using them a bit harder, but having a '.snapshot'
directory inside each directory would be ideal.  Great work!