bridge callbacks in if_ed.c?

Andre Oppermann andre at freebsd.org
Sun Sep 5 16:35:02 PDT 2004

Sam Leffler wrote:
> > No.  What will move to pfil_hooks is the firewalling within the bridge
> > code and the layer2 ethernet firewalling.  The bridging code as such
> > will stay where it is.
>
> Well, that's what _you_ want to do :).  What I started on last year was a
> complete purge of special-purpose hooks in the network stack; replacing them
> with pfil hooks (adding new hooks to do this).  Revamping the bridge code was
> part of this work and to do it I had to eliminate the API used by the ed
> driver.  As to whether you're planning to follow the path I started is
> another matter (I pointed Gleb at you because you seemed to be going in that
> direction and I figured you'd "see the light" after looking at the p4 branch
> code I sent you :)).

Ok, I still haven't looked at your code in p4.  Will do that together with
mlaier and then we'll make up our mind.  ;-)  P4web seems to be working
fine again.

Even if we take the one-step-at-a-time approach there is nothing preventing
us from going the full way eventually and implementing your vision.

--
Andre