How to customize a release?

ctodd at chrismiller.com ctodd at chrismiller.com
Fri Sep 3 01:04:20 PDT 2004

> Let me know if you believe this is unclear and should be improved (from the
> release(7) manpage):
>
> :      release.3        Makes and installs the GENERIC kernel as well as any
>                                                ^^^^^^^        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> :                       other kernels listed in KERNELS.
>                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^        ^^^^^^^^^^
> :
> :      KERNELS          Specifies a list of additional kernel configura-
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> :                       tions to compile and install into the ``base'' dis-
> :                       tribution.  Each kernel is installed into
> :                       /boot/<config> so that it can be booted from the
> :                       loader via ``boot <config>''.

This must exist in the 5.x man pages, I'm working with 4.x systems :

     release.3   Builds and installs ``crypto'', ``krb4'' and ``krb5''
                 distri-butions.
     release.4   Makes and installs the GENERIC kernel.

There is no reference to the KERNELS variable in the 4.x version of the
man page although it does exist in the Makefile. So this explains why you
think I hadn't RTFM ;-)

Thanks for your help, between you and John I think I've got this mostly
figured out.

Regards,
	Chris