hacking SCO....

Matt Emmerton matt at gsicomp.on.ca
Mon Oct 25 19:22:21 PDT 2004

> This may be a dumb question, but if you make a cpio tape archive from
> data on an SCO system (HTFS filesystem), you can still restore the data
> off the tape to another system, like FreeBSD with a UFS filesystem,
> right?

This should work.  If you run into any issues they will be incompatibilities
between SCO's cpio and the GNU cpio that FreeBSD uses.

> And the followup, can FreeBSD run SCO binaries (SCO Unix 5.0.1)? I am
> going to try and convert these people from their SCO box over to a
> FreeBSD system. Just want to make sure the data will come off the tape.

Yes, but support is really limited.  You need to copy a bunch of core
libraries onto the FreeBSD machine from the SCO machine to make things work.
(We just emulate the syscall interface -- you need libc and friends from
SCO.)

Matt