Amazing.

Jason Osgerby jasonosgerby at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 2 00:55:56 PDT 2004

Did you have any trouble setting up Xorg on it? I recently attempted to upgrade this machine, an old Pentium 2 box, from 4.10 to 5.3 Beta 6 just to take a look at the new features, but whenever I tried to run startx after Xorg -configure had finished running, the screen would flash then simply go back out to the console with the message "waiting for the X server to shut down." I tried all kinds of things to make it work, but no go. Any ideas what I could be missing, anyone?

Frank Mayhar <frank at exit.com> wrote: I just want to drop a line to you folks (and to Bill Paul in particular)
to express my appreciation for your work. I received my new laptop today
after my old one finally succumbed to a combination of old age and ancient
coffee spills. I installed 5.3-BETA6 on it immediately, no trouble, it
knew about the Broadcom NIC out of the box and I did a quick check to learn
how to set up ndis so I could use the Dell (actually Broadcom) wireless
NIC as well.

Built ndis, converted the Windows driver, built if_ndis, installed it,
loaded it, configured the interface, ran dhclient and I'm using it as
I type this. Took maybe an hour, including burning the driver and
/usr/src on a DVD to carry into the living room. I was so impressed
that I just had to write and say so.

Kudos to you guys. You do good work. After having had to deal with
the insides of Linux for the last year, it's a pleasure to use a system
that is built with such professionalism. Thanks!
--
Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting http://www.gpsclock.com/