Wanted: Example tar files

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Mon May 17 22:55:19 PDT 2004

Max Laier wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 May 2004 03:57, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> <...>
>
>>An ideal test archive would not be too big (< 16k) and
>>have as many as possible of the following:
>>   * regular file
>>   * directory
>>   * hardlink
>>   * symlink
>>   * fifo, socket, device node, etc.
>>   * regular file with very long pathname (>256 characters)
>>   * symlink to a file with a very long pathname
>>   * file with 8-bit character in the filename
>>   * file with 8-bit character in the user or group name
>>   * file with ACL, file flags, or other extended permissions
>

> How about posting such a tar somewhere so people can retar it with whatever
> they have?

That would require that people be able to untar
whatever I provide.  There are enough differences
among tar implementations (especially for things
like long filenames, 8-bit characters, extended
permissions, etc) that it's not really possible.

This is part of why I want bsdtar to be able to
identify and read so many different formats.  ;-)

I could scrape together a shell script to build
a directory with a suitable set of files (can't
quite cover all of the above with that, but can
cover much of it).  I'll see about that.

Tim