off topic - disk crash

Christoph P. Kukulies kuku at kukulies.org
Sun Mar 14 04:04:37 PST 2004

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 12:25:02PM +0100, Søren Schmidt wrote:
> Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:
>
> >Thanks for all the helpful tips so far. It is a DLTA 307045 (3.5")
> >Don't know whether this is a 75GXP.
>
> It is one of the dreaded models experience shows that all models after
> this has some kind of problems, no wonder they sold out :)
>
> >I'm getting either these:
> >
> >ad2: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (2 retries left)  LBA=30583
> >
> >Which don't stop the dd process.
> >
> >And these,
> >
> >ad2: FAILURE  -  READ_DMA status=51<READY, DSC, ERROR>
> >error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=9156
> >
> >leading to termination.
> >
> >Also the transfer rate is terribly slow: (80 KB/s)
> >
> >I was able to save 18 MB (of 46 GB) (not much so far)
> >
> >Any other suggestions?
>
> Use the noerror and sync flags to dd, that will get past errors and put
> in NULL sectors for those you cant read. However it will take a looong
> time and probably tear off the sorry rests of your magnetic coating on
> the platters :(

It is now dumping and I'm at 2.7 GB meanwhile. No more errors since the
last one at LBA=670000 . Are these LBS identical to the block #?

Maybe I'll give it another try (when this pass is through) and dump
from the beginning.

I'm about to get me a second identical model and maybe I then can dd
the whole image including partition table so that I will not have to
scan the disk for the start of the filesystems.

Some time ago I wrote a little program to scan a disk for the start of
a FS. Unfortunately that program is also on the crashed disk :-O

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_physik.rwth-aachen.de