make "quickworld"? (like in DragonFly)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Aug 11 18:12:21 PDT 2004

:Well, quickworld seems easy to implement on FreeBSD (maybe I should
:have more docs in Makefile.inc1).  Sorting in TGTS could be better in
:this patch too.  Maybe quickworld target itself should go somewhere
:else.  realquickworld appears, from your description, to be
:'everything' in the FreeBSD 5.
:
:Anyway, the following patch appears to work for me.
:
:Warner

    Looks pretty good.  Our's also runs _obj (before _includes), because it
    is quite common for a developer to commit new code that requires a new
    object directory.  My conclusion was that the saved time wasn't worth
    the possibility of a buildworld either failing due to the lack of an obj
    directory for a new module, or improperly creating the objects for the
    new code in the source tree because no obj directory exists (if the
    source tree is R+W).

    I think you will find it a very useful target.  I use it all the
    time and just do a full buildworld on the occassion when quickworld
    fails.  Our developers also know that if quickworld fails they should
    do a buildworld and we rarely get postings to bugs@ about it.

:@@ -343,6 +343,7 @@
: .endif
: WMAKE_TGTS+=	_includes _libraries _depend everything
:
:+quickworld: _includes _libraries _depend everything
: buildworld: ${WMAKE_TGTS}
: .ORDER: ${WMAKE_TGTS}
:

    In dfly it is:

quickworld: _obj _includes _libraries _depend everything

    In dfly the realquickworld is as shown below.  Not quite just
    'everything'.  _includes and _libraries are probably not necessary but
    I recommend that the _obj target always be run to avoid accidental
    /usr/src pollution.

realquickworld: _obj _includes _libraries everything

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon at backplane.com>