Network stack cloning / virtualization patches

Sean Chittenden sean at chittenden.org
Fri May 30 11:26:47 PDT 2003

> at http://www.tel.fer.hr/zec/vimage/ you can find a set of patches
> against 4.8-RELEASE kernel that provide support for network stack
> cloning. The patched kernel allows multiple fully independent
> network stack instances to simultaneously coexist within a single OS
> kernel, providing a foundation for supporting diverse new
> applications, including:
>
> - Enhanced virtual hosting (think of jails with its own private set of
> network interfaces, IP addresses, routing tables, ipfw and dummynet
> instance etc.);
> - High-performance real-time network simulation / emulation;
> - Fully isolated overlay VPN provisioning (using IP tunnels), including
> the possibility of creating nested VPNs.
>
> The network stacks are embedded in new resource container entities
> named "virtual images". Each process and network stack instance within
> the system has to be associated with a virtual image, which in effect
> becomes a light or pseudo virtual machine entity. Additional goodies
> include the possibility to control some other resources besides the
> network stack, most notably the independent CPU load and usage
> accounting, as well as feedback-driven proportional share scheduling
> among virtual images. For more details, check the above URL.
> Note that the patch was designed to allow all existing applications and
> utilities to run unmodified on the patched kernel, so no recompiling of
> the userland is necessary.
>
> Hope you'll find use for the new framework :-)

Has anyone stepped forward to possibly shepherd this code into the
tree?  I am highly interested in this code and would like to see it
incorporated into the base system (read: -CURRENT, before 5.2).  After
looking at the TODO, I realize that this patch isn't 100% yet, but can
it be broken down into a smaller set of commits?

Anyone doing virtual hosting would kill to have this functionality in
FreeBSD right now.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden