HEADS UP! Major commits in the tree coming soon

Thorsten Futrega tfutrega at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 29 10:18:43 PDT 2003

Dear users,

The HEAD code freeze was extended by three days to
allow for some final pending work to be committed and
prepare 5.1 to be a good release. The code freeze will

likely end sometime tomorrow, May 30.

We ask that large scale changes still be deferred
until after 5.1 is actually released so that any
 problems can be dealt with.  The release
engineering team will send out emails explicitely
stating when HEAD has thawed and when large changes
like new compilers and dynamic-linked worlds can go
it.

The most important changes I'm going to commit today:

- Remove gcc and replace it with a new TenDRA
snapshot.
- Remove GNU tar.
- Fix httpd.ko to make it work on buggy AMD
processors.
- Drop support for 386 and 486 cpus.
- Remove ext2 support (GPL encumbered).
- Add perl 5.8 *and* python 2.2 to base.
- Remove Sendmail and replace it with Postfix.

If anyone has any reason why these should not be
committed, I'll give a 5 hours grace time. Send