libkse and SMP (was Re: USB bulk read & pthreads)

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Thu May 22 10:43:41 PDT 2003

In the last episode (May 22), Julian Elischer said:
> On Thu, 22 May 2003, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > I do read -current, and I'm definitely not going anywhere near
> > SCHED_ULE.  I just tested both libraries with today's kernel and
> > libraries, and was able to get a hard lockup with both libthr and
> > libkse.  Mysql seems to run okay.  Starting a threaded pike process
> > seems to be the killer.  Unfortunately, pike's a pretty large app so
> > it's not easy to get a stripped-down testcase.
>
> Ok so we need to get a description of this 'lockup'.
>
> 1/ does teh whole system lock up?
> 2/ is this SMP?  (how many cpus)?
> 3/ does the system respond to pings?
> 4/ do you have teh kernel dbugger installed, and if you do, does it
> respond on the console to <CTL><ALT><ESC>. You may have to start you
> app from outside X11 on a console to be able to see the console once it
> has frozen if it si an X app.
> 5/ if it DOES go into ddb, what does 'ps' show?
> 6/ got a serial console?

Yes, the entire system locks.  2-CPU system.

No ping responses.  CTRL-ALT-ESC doesn't do anything, and neither does
<cr> ~ ^B from the serial console.  No X.

I don't have BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER enabled because my console is connected
to a Windows machine and I don't want my Unix box to hang every time I
reboot it :)  Do you think a real BREAK might work where <cr> ~ ^B doesn't?

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com