libkse and SMP (was Re: USB bulk read & pthreads)

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Thu May 22 09:52:38 PDT 2003

In the last episode (May 22), Terry Lambert said:
> Make sure you use SCHED_4BSD, rather than SCHED_ULE, if you are using
> one of the kernel threads libraries, for now.
>
> You really should read the -current archives before attempting any of
> this, if you don't follow -current closely enough to have caught
> Jeff's message on this, or which kernel threading libraries are
> available.

I do read -current, and I'm definitely not going anywhere near
SCHED_ULE.  I just tested both libraries with today's kernel and
libraries, and was able to get a hard lockup with both libthr and
libkse.  Mysql seems to run okay.  Starting a threaded pike process
seems to be the killer.  Unfortunately, pike's a pretty large app so
it's not easy to get a stripped-down testcase.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com