A utility to retrieve system configuration

David Schultz das at FreeBSD.ORG
Thu May 22 03:41:14 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 20, 2003, Nader Atoofi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is there any utility/script in FreeBSD to collect system
> configuration information from the system for recovery
> purposes. I'm looking for something like Sun Explorer in Solaris
> or Snap in AIX.

I'm not aware of any such tool, but the base system maintains
everything interesting configuration-wise in /etc, which you can
simply tar up.  If you use a custom kernel config or custom
/boot/loader.conf, you will want to back those up as well, but
this is easily done by putting these two files in /etc and making
symlinks.  For third-party packages installed through ports, you
probably want /usr/local/etc plus the output of pkg_info(1).