linux emulation.

omestre at freeshell.org omestre at freeshell.org
Wed May 21 08:20:56 PDT 2003

Hello,
 The FreeBSD is great.
 I have my desktop running with FreeBSD 5.0 kernel, and the ROOTFS is
a Debian/GNU Linux 3.0. (The filesystem is UFS2).
 There are only two programs in the filesystem that are FreeBSD ones:
 route and sysctl.
 I did saw the documentation (in handbook), about the emulation that
are not emulation. :) But i want to know more about that. Where can
i find this documentation?
 i know, i know... the sources. But i want to read articles about
that... talking about the implementation and how it works (more
deep than the handbook), so, maybe i can understand the sources.
 Example:
 In the handbook, i did read that the proc structure (now thread in 5.0),
holds a pointer to the sysent[] table. (sys calls). Each process have one
pointer to it. But, the FreeBSD sysent struct i have found, but the linux
do not. It suppoused to be in /usr/src/sys/compat/linux tree... right?
 Really, the SO implementation, vm, io and etc is independent of ABI that
it is running. Excelent. But i want know more. I want know if there are
overhead in some point (sysent traduction?).
 Thanks

 The english? sorry... :)

---