soundcard driver problems: C-media 8330 chip

Andrei davoid at softhome.net
Fri May 16 20:35:45 PDT 2003

Hello!

I've used this soundcard on the same hardware with 4.6 if I remember
right, and now with newer sources (using 5.0, tried 4.8) I can't get
sound coming out of my speakers. Here's dmesg snippets

==============
pcm0: <CMI8330> at port 0x388-0x38f,0x530-0x537 irq 11 drq 0 on isa0
unknown: <PNP0100> can't assign resources (irq)
unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0401> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0c02> can't assign resources (port)

stray irq 7
stray irq 7
got 5 stray irq 7's: not logging anymore
pcm0:play:0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead

=========

the pcm0 line appears when I try to play an audio file. What's with all
the unknown PnP problems? How would I know which device it's having
problems with? Can misconfiguration of the board's ressources be the
problem? It's an ISA card soldered on the motherboard, so since the BioS
supposingly does its job well by letting ISA cards get all the
ressources they need FIRST, before PnP wreaks havoc, sound should be
working...

I've googled this extensively and nothing interesting comes up. Help
greatly appreciated!
free