Optimizations.

Pawel Jakub Dawidek nick at garage.freebsd.pl
Thu May 15 15:04:11 PDT 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 02:07:28PM -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
+> People skilled in optimization know to profile the code and find what is
+> slowing real, actual applications down before attempting to profile
+> anything.  You can't imagine how uninterested any FreeBSD developer is
+> in optimizing getuid() so it will out-perform Linux on some completely
+> braindead benchmark.  Show me an application that is getuid()
+> performance bound and I'll show you an application that is so poorly
+> written as to be meaningless.

Of course you're right. But we aren't talking  here about such stupid
optimizations. Good optimization know answer on question "which part
of code is really worth of speed-up in this way and where we could
only mess without performance improvement at all?".

+> You obviously feel passionate about this issue.  Why don't you pursue it
+> yourself? [...]

I want to, but this problem is really complicated. There have to be
incorporation between optimizers and developers, because if we want to
do this we have to know how to check speed-up (and sometimes it is
really hard to prepare suitable tests) and how to check if we don't
break anything, right? And that's why such project should be better
organized than some garage-job.

+> [...]  Are you looking for a few good programmers to join you, or
+> perhaps someone to tutor you?  If so, say it up front, and I'll just
+> bet somebody will step forward to help out.

I could help, of course, but I'm sure that there are much more
developers really skilled in this topic and I'm scream to them:)

Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       pawel at dawidek.net
UNIX Systems Programmer/Administrator     http://garage.freebsd.pl
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://cerber.sourceforge.net