A modest proposal for better errno values...

Wes Peters wes at softweyr.com
Tue May 13 19:22:39 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 13 May 2003 01:57, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> jkh at freebsd-> grep DOOFUS /usr/include/sys/errno.h
> #define EDOOFUS         88              /* Programming error */

I think your tie is knotted a bit too snugly, it's cutting off the flow
of blood into your brain.

If Apple wants to import FreeBSD code (it has been a very one-way
street, hasn't it?) and wants to avoid having an EDOOFUS in their
system, Apple can certainly devote a few minutes of programmer time to
writing an import filter that automagically converts EDOOFUS to the
Apple approved errno that does not marginalize stupid programmers.  (It
does make one wonder why Apple would be so touchy about this particular
problem, doesn't it?)  I want to suggest EWORM but that obviously won't
do in the corporate humorless environment.

It really is too bad that Apple has never quite recovered from Tim's
warped sense of humor, in re: Butthead Astronomer.

Wes Peters                                              wes at softweyr.com