Bluetooth Interoperability ?

Maksim Yevmenkin m_evmenkin at yahoo.com
Tue May 13 12:03:57 PDT 2003

[...]

> >> I do connect two FreeBSD system with rfcomm_pppd,
> >
> >good :)
> >
> >> But I have never succeeded to use Windows XP LAN service from
> >> FreeBSD Bluetooth
> >
> >just to verify. you are saying that WinXP actually *provides* LAN server,
> >right? WinXP actually acts as a *server*? i've never seen this before.
>
> At least, the local browse and manual says so.(Manual says the
> 'Connection shareing' is works only on WinXP. )

hmmm... i've never tried to use WinXP as *server*. the LAN client should
work just fine.

> >this should give you RFCOMM channel number. then you should try to run
> >rfcomm_pppd(8) in *client* mode and try to open connection to the WinXP
> >BD_ADDR and RFCOMM channel. i have no idea how to configure PPP *server*
> >on your WinXP/Bluetooth software.

perhaps you need to setup PPP server on WinXP's virtual serial port that
assigned to LAN service. i have no idea how to do it. what does

# sdptool browse <WIN_XP_BDADDR>

say? does WinXP advertise any services? could you please send me the output?

> >> and FreeBSD LAN service served by rfcomm_pppd from Windows98.
>
> OK. It works. Thanks.

great. please let me know if you have any problems.

just for the fun could you please try to setup LAN connection between WinXP
(server) and Win98 (client)? i'm curious if it even works at all.

thanks,
max