Periodic email about security notifications

Valentin Nechayev netch at iv.nn.kiev.ua
Sun May 11 08:10:24 PDT 2003

 Sat, May 03, 2003 at 23:49:38, keramida (Giorgos Keramidas) wrote about "Periodic email about security notifications":

GK> A friend asked me a while ago on IRC if it was possible to receive
GK> periodic email notifications with new security advisories.
GK> The following script for /etc/periodic/security implements exactly this
GK> idea.  It depends on lynx(1) to run, which isn't part of the base
GK> system, so I'm not sure if it's ok to add it to the base system at all.
GK> Here it is for anyone who might find it useful though:

It has the huge administrative disadvantage: it triggers notification for
"something being happened in security area" before advisory is sent via
official channels. It is good for crackers (which, of course, use this
possibility for many years and automated it for a long time), but bad for
usual admins.
OTOH, it notifies later than

:0H
* ^Sender: owner-cvs-all at freebsd.org
! mail_to_pager --prefix='fixing releng, check for security issues!'

and hence is much less useful than cvs-all.

-netch-