Adaptec / MegaRAID SCSI issues ?

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Fri May 9 13:42:21 PDT 2003

Ok, I'll get right to it..
The problem:  FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE, and FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE both fail on
boot when I have a (Dell PERC3/DC) AMI MegaRAID controller in the system
with RAIDs defined and optimal, but 4.7-RELEASE does not.

Here's more details:
4.7-REL (fresh install, no tweaks, no updates) begins the boot, shows
the two raids (amrd0 and amrd1), including their sizes, etc. After the
15 second "drive settling", the machine will continue to boot off the
scsi hard drive plugged into the internal controller card (AIC-7892
card), and all is well.

4.8-REL and 5.0-REL (fresh install, blabla) begins to boot, shows the
two raids like before, and never get's much past the 15 second settling.
  I'll clarify - a normal boot shows nothing after that point, however,
doing a "verbose" boot (boot -v) shows that it gets past the creation of
the amrd0/1 devices, and goes to the adaptec scsi controller
configuration and hangs in that stage.  It never comes out of the hang,
and doesn't respond to ctrl-alt-del, but I still have keyboard interrupt..

I'm upgrading a 4.7-REL install to -stable now, so I'm uncertain if that
will work or fail - I'm just curious if anyone else has seen this, fixed
it, or never heard of it before..

How can I help get this fixed?

Eric