collecting pv entries -- suggest increasing PMAP_SHPGPERPROC

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely9.cicely.de
Tue May 6 02:42:25 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 09:55:49AM +0200, Bogdan TARU wrote:

> 	Hi everyone,
>
>  I got the following message in the system log:
>
> /kernel: pmap_collect: collecting pv entries -- suggest increasing
> PMAP_SHPGPERPROC
>
>  The machine being more than 200km away, I cannot compile a new kernel
> right away. So I was wondering if there are any tweaks that I can do
> 'remotely', to solve the problem at least temporary.

You should think about a remote accessible serial console.
Compiling kernel doesn't require console access - although it might be
helpfull if you did something wrong.

>  The machine in question is serving as a web server (apache + php +
> phpaccelerator), and has 1GB of RAM. The following are some infos I could
> find about the shared memory:

That's partly unrelated.
The reason is that your system uses a lot of shared memory, but shared
memory doesn't have to be sysv shared memory.
It's more likely that the memory used is mmaped data.
Maybe your apache is sending a single big file on many connections the
same time.

The first check would be to see if you can avoid the situation
completely, maybe by splitting extremly big and popular files.
If this is not possible than you really have to increase the table as
advised by the kernel.

ticso at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de