Lots of kernel core dumps

Wes Peters wes at softweyr.com
Wed Mar 26 16:50:35 PST 2003

On Monday 24 March 2003 11:18, Daniela wrote:
> On Sunday 23 March 2003 20:20, Wes Peters wrote:
> >
> > The reason for creating the 5.0 release is to make it easy for more
> > developers and testers to jump onto the 5.x bandwagon by giving them
> > a known (relatively) good starting point.  Quite a number of problems
> > have been fixed since 5.0-RELEASE; CURRENT is now generally much more
> > stable, and nobody is going to spend time updating 5.0 which is
> > essentially an "early access" release.
> >
> > You have to decide for yourself if this machine is too critical to
> > run CURRENT, in which case it's probably best off running STABLE or
> > the latest 4.x release branch, or if you want to update it to
> > CURRENT, follow the CURRENT mailing list, and update again at known
> > stable development points.  It looks like right now is pretty good if
> > you want to jump.
> >
> > At any rate, thanks for your tenacity.  We really do appreciate the
> > contributions of everyone.
>
> Well, it's just a home server. I don't mind a few crashes, but security
> is important for me. What do you think, should I go back to -stable?
> FreeBSD is the world's best OS, I want to see it succeeding and I want
> to help as much as possible.

I have two machines at home and run STABLE on my workstation, which is
also our 'group server' for the home.  I have current on a crash test box
that used to be my workstation 6 years ago, a K6/233 I can't imagine not
having.  If you're similarly hardware-rich, I'd recommend a similar
approach.  If you have only the one box, I personally would probably run
CURRENT and be careful about when to run CVSup.

Good luck!

--

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes at softweyr.com