struct ipc_perm

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Fri Jun 20 14:50:57 PDT 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Dmitry Sivachenko wrote:

> > > Is there any reason why struct ipc_perm is not protected by #ifdef _KERNEL
> > > in ipc.h?  Is it supposed to be used from userland?
> >
> > It's needed by ipcs.
>
> Ah, I see.  It is visible via struct msqid_ds.
>
> I developed a patch which requires addition of custom field to ipc_perm.
> I am trying to imagine which problems can it cause to userland programs.

We have local changes in the TrustedBSD development trees to extend all
the structures in the kernel without modifying the ABI.  We needed this to
put labels in the various System V IPC object structures.  We're not ready
to merge them yet, but it will probably happen in the next month or so.
If you'd like early access to the patch, we can drop you a copy.  We'll
merge it into the MAC tree in about a week.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories