Drawing graphics on terminal

Simon L. Nielsen simon at nitro.dk
Mon Jun 16 13:06:21 PDT 2003

On 2003.06.16 15:18:52 -0400, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> In a message written on Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 03:10:24PM -0400, Eric Jacobs wrote:
> > I don't think the advantage of a GUI-based installer would be
> > "eye-candy". libdialog looks fine IMO. It would be to increase the
> > ease of use, allow more flexibility in installations, and add more
> > troubleshooting/diagnostic options (disabling/enabling/loading
> > device drivers, etc.)
>
> Some of this could be done in the current installer, if there wasn't
> an effort to make it still fit on a floppy.  Mind you, I'd like to see
> the floppy based install stick around for a while, but I think FreeBSD
> needs to embrace the CD reality.
>
> A problem, as I see it, is that the only bootable ISO is the full
> FreeBSD CD.  For someone who wants to do a minimal net-install on
> a CD only computer that's too much.  What I think needs to be done
> is the current installer enhanced (a few more tools for the emergency
> holographic shell, more help, etc), and produced in ISO form, eg a
> 3 to maybe 10 meg ISO image you could burn on CD and use like a
> floppy is used today.

This is why there are mini CD's.  E.g. :

-rw-rw-r--  1 1005  1005       237M  5 Jun 18:49 5.1-RELEASE-i386-miniinst.iso

Of course it's not just the installer but also enough to install the
base system.  If you want only the install it should be very easy to
make your own ISO with only floppies/boot.flp (2.8MB) which would then
contain only the installer... I'm not really sure how many drivers
boot.flp contains though.

--
Simon L. Nielsen