How do I see open sockets count (kern.ipc.maxsockets, but status)

Josh Brooks user at mail.econolodgetulsa.com
Fri Jun 13 13:22:55 PDT 2003

Hello,

When I run out of files, I can see how many files are actually open by
looking at the kern.openfiles sysctl.  This makes it easy to see if I am
hitting my limit or not.

However, I am experiencing "No buffer space available" errors, and since I
am not running out of mbufs:

netstat -m
1728/2496/34816 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
        1714 mbufs allocated to data
        14 mbufs allocated to packet headers
677/1430/8704 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
3484 Kbytes allocated to network (13% of mb_map in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

My natural choice is to increase:

kern.ipc.maxsockets: 16424

But before I do that, I want to see how many I am currently using.  So,
whereas with open files I would simply check the kern.openfiles sysctl,
how do I check how many sockets I currently have open ?

Thanks you.