Request for documenting IPSec, NAT/divert, ipfw, ipfilter ... in kernel flow ?

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Fri Jun 6 04:29:23 PDT 2003

Hi,

sorry for cross-mailing. Reply-to: set to freebsd-net.

I have seen some discussion on freebsd-security etc. about some parts
of the subject. I have seen older messages in archives.
Regularly the same questions seem to come up.

I have not found an all-including description of the answer to s.th.
like:
"Can anybody tell me the order packets get processed in kernel related
to IPSec, NAT/divert, ipfw, ipfilter, ... for incoming, outgoing,
forwarding... ?". What about bpf, ... ?

Is there any chance that some of the gurus can draw one or more ascii
arts or xfig or whatever images that show the in kernel packet
flow/processing ?

Perhaps the doc project would also be happy to include it in the
handbook or somewhere else. Would make life much more easier for many
people.

TIA

--
Greetings