netstat -s output

Bogdan TARU bgd at icomag.de
Fri Jun 6 02:19:10 PDT 2003

	Hi hackers,

 I have tried to find out the amount of traffic that one box sent (from
the last reboot), and netstat -s seemed like a good choice. But netstat -s
seems to generate incorrect results:

tcp:
        1730547260 packets sent
                1325234728 data packets (1119813018 bytes)
                28496801 data packets (151887376 bytes) retransmitted

 This box generated a lot more than ~12Gb of tcp traffic since the last
reboot. And I have not messed up with interfaces (up, down, whatever) OR
with netstat -z in all this time. Any idea what could be wrong? Are the
counters resetted sometimes, or they wrap sometimes, or...?

 Thank you,
 bogdan