vmstat counter "bug"

Andrew Kinney andykinney at advantagecom.net
Thu Jul 31 09:51:21 PDT 2003

Hello,

I'm sure this is probably just a limitation of the variable type used,
but when we run a 'vmstat -m' on our 4.8-RELEASE machine, we
get a negative integer on the "Requests" section of the memory
totals.

Memory Totals:  In Use    Free    Requests
               123946K  30979K    -1730834065

That negative integer is incrementing towards zero.

This is a dual processor machine with 4GB of physical RAM and is
running an SMP kernel.

This machine pushes about 1TB a month and is used heavily as a
web/email/database server, so it naturally puts big numbers
through all parts of the OS.  Its been running without reboot for 3
months straight now.

Is this worth submitting a PR for or is it one of those issues that
would sit in the PR db for 7 years because nobody cares?

I found the following related PR:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/30360
open for almost 2 years

It's definitely a non-critical issue, but a little "spit and polish"
wouldn't hurt.

Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
President and