getfsent(3) and spaces in fstab

Simon Barner barner at in.tum.de
Wed Jul 30 17:08:45 PDT 2003

> Just a thort, not having tried it ..
>
> does either of the 'standard' methods of including spaces actually work
> in fstab ??
>
> I speak of quoting (either single or double) and backslashing the space
>
> "/mnt/space/silly long dirname/filename also with spaces"
>
> or
>
> /mnt/space/silly\ long\ dirname/filename\ also\ with\ spaces

Sorry, I should have written that I have performed tests:

Here is what I did:

test\ 1         /mnt/test\ 1            ufs     ro              0       0
'test 2'        '/mnt/test 2'           ufs     ro              0       0
"test 3"        "/mnt/test 3"           ufs     ro              0       0

This test program

---> snip <--
#include <fstab.h>

int main (int argc, char *argv[]) {
	struct fstab *f;

	while (0 != (f = getfsent ())) {
		printf ("%s %s %s\n", f->fs_spec, f->fs_file, f->fs_vfstype);
	}

	return 0;
}
---> snip <--

Gives me the following output:

/dev/ad0s2b none swap
/dev/ad0s1a / ufs
/dev/ad0s2g /usr ufs
/dev/ad0s2f /home ufs
/dev/ad0s2e /var ufs
/dev/vinum/mucke /samba-export ufs
/dev/acd0c /mnt/cdrom cd9660
/dev/fd0.1440 /mnt/floppy msdos
proc /proc procfs
kern /kern kernfs
linproc /compat/linux/proc linprocfs
fstab: /etc/fstab:14: Inappropriate file type or format
fstab: /etc/fstab:15: Inappropriate file type or format
fstab: /etc/fstab:16: Inappropriate file type or format

Simon