BCM4401 driver

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Mon Jul 28 10:55:29 PDT 2003

I realise that there's a 'beta' FreeBSD driver out for this card, and I've
been attempting to learn the kernel interfaces such as bus_dma and mbuf
handling to debug it, but without much success.  On my Dell, it seems to
mostly work if I set the number of RX descriptors very low, around 5, but at
the default of 200 the network stalls with invalid packets.   Running a
tcpdump on the interface shows that, with 5 descriptors, there's an occasional
bad packet, but it doesn't stop any network access working.  With 200, I get
loads of bad packets, where tcpdump shows the mac addresses (the ethernet
header I guess)  quite a few bytes
into the packet.   I recently ran the system with the driver preloaded, and
after a while it locked the system up, spamming me with 'bcm0: discarding frame
w/o ethernet header (len 4294967296 pktlen 4294967296)'.  It looks as though
there's either a problem with where the chip is putting the data, or
something's wrong with the mbuf handling, but which only gets triggered after
a while.   Does anyone know enough about
network drivers to know what the problem might be?
It would be great to have this card supported, and it seems that the driver
is very near to being working, it just needs a bit more debugging work
done on it.

--
Bruce Cran