Console serial speed

Daniel Lang langd-freebsd-hackers at leo.org
Sat Jul 26 05:12:43 PDT 2003

Hi,

Bruce M Simpson wrote on Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 10:06:36AM +0100:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 01:06:28PM -0500, Russell Cattelan wrote:
> > How does one set the serial speed of the console.
>
> Does specifying BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED=57600 not work?

No, I've experienced the same problem years ago.
The funny thing is, that it worked on some machines,
while it didn't on others.

I worked around the problem by putting
machdep.conspeed=38400
in /etc/sysctl.conf, so the speed is reset to the right
speed, once the system is up.

Of course this doesn't work for boot2, loader or the kernel
itself. These three components seem to set their console speed
in some cases arbitrarly.

In my kernel I have the CONSPEED and the BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED
in make.conf set accordingly.

Anyway its not a big problem for me now any more, so I never
filed a PR.

Best regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock        - "Do you love yourself ?" - "Yes!" (Isar 12) -
 Daniel Lang * dl at leo.org * +49 89 289 18532 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/