Network pipes

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Thu Jul 24 02:14:30 PDT 2003

hi,
i have the following questions:

* strange benchmark results! Given the description, I would expect
  the "|@ rsh" and "|@ ssh" cases to give the same throughput, and
  in any case "| rsh" to be faster than "| ssh". How comes, instead,
  that the times differ by an order of magnitude ? Can you run the
  tests in similar conditions to appreciate the gains better ?

* I do not understand how can you remove the pipe in the remote host
  without modifying there both "sshd" and "sh" ?
  I think it would be very important to understand how much
  |@ depends on the behaviour of the remote daemon.

* the loss of encription on the channel is certainly something that might
  escape the attention of the user. I also wonder in how many cases you
  really need the extra performance to justify the extra plumbing
  mechanism.

* there are subtle implications of your new plumbing in the way
  processes are started. With "A | B | C" the shell first creates the
  pipes, then it can start the processes in any order, and they can
  individually fail to start without any direct consequence other
  than an I/O failure. "A |@ B |@ C" requires that you start things
  from the end of the chain (because you cannot start a process
  until you have a [socket] descriptor from the next stage in the
  chain), and if a process fails to start you cannot even start the
  next one in the sequence. Not that this is bad, just very different
  from regular pipes.

All the above leaves me a bit puzzled on whether or not this is a
useful addition... In fact, i am not convinced that network pipes
should be implemented in the shell...

        cheers
        luigi