differences in USB support between FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x ?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Jul 22 12:00:28 PDT 2003

In message: <20030722123649.GM511 at cicely12.cicely.de>
            Bernd Walter <ticso at cicely12.cicely.de> writes:
: On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 12:04:21AM +0200, Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] wrote:
: > On Monday 21 July 2003 15:00, Bernd Walter wrote:
: > > On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 09:18:42AM +0200, Marco Molteni wrote:
: > > > [I sent the same message to usb-bsd at eleetbsd.org, but since that list
: > > > seems not very active, I am asking here too]
: > > >
: > > > Hi all,
: > > >
: > > > the subject says it all.
: > > >
: > > > I am considering using FreeBSD for a robotics project, and I am
: > > > thinking of using 4.x for stability. But, since we will probably use
: > > > USB a lot, I am wondering if maybe 5.x is a better choice.
: > >
: > > I believe 4.x has all you need for your project.
: > > If you really find a problem then the missing part can be MFC'ed.
: > Both 4.x and 5.x have a pointer-bug in the ugen-driver causing memory to be
: > overwritten outside a buffer when using isochronous transfers. I have sent a
: > PR about this (with patch) back in April.
: > **(: HINT HINT :) **
: > ( pr kern/51186 : http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern%2F51186 )
:
: I'll take a look at this.

I have some time in my schedule in a few weeks to look at USB issues,
so if you don't beat me to it, I'll look then.  My first look at the
patch suggests it is correct.

Warner