Possible issue with in-kernel ELF loader.

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Jul 21 09:11:01 PDT 2003

:>    It turns out that the kernel's internal ELF loader is misinterpreting
:>    an ABS symbol (i.e. set with .SET in assembly) whos value is 0 as being
:>    'not found', and once that is fixed it was also confusing the absolute
:>    symbol with a COMMON symbol.
:
:Thanks for the pointer.  FWIW, We use -fno-common on 5.x to avoid common
:symbols even existing in the first place.  There were a few missing
:externs that this turned up.
:
:Cheers,
:-Peter
:--
:Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com

    Hmm.  Though you seem to override it for the linux and svr4 modules.
    It's a little too hackish for my tastes but I'll keep it in mind.
    There's something to be said for being able to clean up those kinds of
    declarations.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon at backplane.com>