4.8 panic "ffs_clusteralloc: map mismatch"

k.j.koster at telecom.tno.nl k.j.koster at telecom.tno.nl
Wed Jul 16 08:53:01 PDT 2003

Dear Andrew,

> My system has brand new MB (supermicro dual proc mainbord
> with U160 SCSI &
> fxp NIC integrated), P3 processor & memory (btw, ECC memory).
> Other components are not-so-new, but they worked flawlessly
> for about a year with another MB.

There is a little memory tester at memtest86.com that I always use on new systems. It works a bit like a pregnancy test: if it saysyou have memory errors, you have memory errors. If it says no errors, you still don't know if you have any.

Memory errors are hard to spot and may require subtle combinations of all systems components to crop up. Having said that, I found that most systems remain stable if they pass both a night of memtest86 and a make -j 8 world.

    Kees Jan