tcsh / tset problem on 4.7 only?

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Jul 7 09:02:45 PDT 2003

I have a script that I've been using since the dawn of time that
seems to fail on 4.7-RELEASE boxes, but not on anything before or
after.  To duplicate:

Run the stock (/bin/tcsh) tcsh binary, and do:

% eval `tset -s -Q`
Missing ].

Similarly:

% tset -s -Q > runme
% eval `cat runme`
Missing ].

However, then a:

% source runme

Works just fine.

So, it appears eval'ing the output of "tset -s -Q" fails, but only
on 4.7.  Again, I've been using this for about 10+ years on all
sorts of systems, including 4.8 and 5.0 boxes, but I can reliably
make it fail on 4.7.

I checked the cvs logs for both /etc/termcap, and for tset, and see
nothing that would have changed between those releases.  I even
looked briefly at csh aka tcsh, and saw nothing obvious.  Anyone
have any idea why this is broken on 4.7?