recovering data from a truncated vn-file possible?

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at efn.org
Fri Jul 4 02:31:20 PDT 2003

Josh Brooks wrote this message on Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 01:59 -0700:
> Is there anything at all I can do to get data out of this ?  I know some
> of it (750 megs worth) is gone for good - but can I get any of the rest of
> it ?  Presumably, when mounted, this was only 50% full ...

If it was UFS1, then you can try ffsrecov in ports that I wrote.  It
won't compile on -current since UFS2 has gone into the tree.

But it sounds like somehow the file got truncated, so of course any data
in the last part that doesn't exist won't be recoverable.

I'm not sure how robust ffsrecov is in handling the possible errors you
might give it.  If you need some help let me know, but you can try to
recover inode 2 (the root inode) and see what you can get out of it.

Hope this helps.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579