current state of the art / best practice for devfs in a jail ?

Josh Brooks user at mail.econolodgetulsa.com
Thu Jul 3 04:00:44 PDT 2003

I have been researching the various of ways people add devfs to a jail to
give the jail certian /dev devices necessary to function ...

One strategy I saw was:

mount -t devfs devfs /home/jail/dev
 ( cd /home/jail/dev ; rm $devices_i_dont_want_in_my_jails )
 mount -u -o nonewdev /home/jail/dev

However I do not know of a `nonewdev` option for mount - but does that
even matter, since `mknod` does not work inside of a jail ?  Or does it in
5.x ?

--

Another strategy I saw was :

# mount -t devfs devfs /home/jail/dev
 # cd /home/jail/dev
 # rm -f *
 # rm -W null zero tty console
 # ls -l
 crw-------  1 phk   wheel    0,   0  2 Feb 01:09 console
 drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel         0  2 Feb 01:06 fd
 crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    2,   2  3 Feb 21:25 null
 crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    1,   0  3 Feb 17:27 tty
 crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    2,  12  1 Jan  1970 zero
 #

Does this even work ?

--

So I guess I am asking two questions:

1. in 5.x, is it still true that mknod will not work from within a jail (I
sure hope it is still true)

2. what is the current "best practices" strategy for mounting up a devfs
in a jail ?

thank!