USB serial support on FreeBSD 3.5?

Daniel Lang langd-freebsd-hackers at leo.org
Wed Jul 2 13:15:24 PDT 2003

Hi,

Les Biffle wrote on Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 12:34:02PM -0700:
> > Oh, My dongle is on -current.
>
> Is that 3-Current?  I'm ready to cvsup to it, if it feels solid to you.
> We've a production product that has been rock-solid on 3.5-stable, and
> I don't want to join the ranks of the flaky product providers just to
> get USB serial support.
[..]

You're not joking?

3.5 was last release of the RELENG_3 branch. While it was released
"-current" was already FreeBSD 4.x. That was June 2000.

Right now, the RELENG_4 branch is already about to expire.
It will be around for a while, but not that long any more.

So if people talk about "-current" (and I'm sure this
includes Warner), they mean FreeBSD 5.x, or more
precisely 5.1-CURRENT.

Btw, if you think you join the ranks of a "flaky" product provider,
if you follow development of common sense, I'm not sure
what you are trying to achieve.

The RELENG_3 branch has some serious deficiencies and it is
no longer recommended for any production use (correct me if I'm wrong).

Of course, it may require some effort to adapt your firewall
code to a recent version of FreeBSD (which already include
more than one useful and working firewall implementations).

It seems to me, there is not much chance to avoid porting your
code to a recent -stable and/or -current, if you want to keep
up to date with developments (like USB), and probably also to remain
competitive.

Just my 0.02 EUR,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock                 - Work is for people, who don't surf -
 Daniel Lang * dl at leo.org * +49 89 289 18532 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/